Douglas High School
located in Box Elder, SD near Ellsworth AFB
Our next DHS all 60's
Reunion will be
Thursday-Sunday, July 18-21, 2013
Which will be celebrating the DHS Class of 1963's 50th Anniversary!
Our last reunion was part of the DHS all 60's Reunion
July 16-18, 2010
CLICK HERE for more info on the 2010 reunion.
DHS all 60's Reunion
Douglas School System was named after Thomas Baird Douglass (1841-1902. Six of the original seven school children were the children of Thomas Douglass. The district began operating in 1891, it was only natural that the school system be called Douglas School System. The school system was relatively small until 1948 when Ellsworth Air Force Base reactivated. From 1952-55, the system was operated under an agreement with the Rapid City School District. In 1955 the Douglas School System assumed independent operations with a three-member board.
The first building to be constructed was the Vandenberg Building,
which is now one of the elementary schools. This building was constructed in
1952 and an addition was put on in 1958. It is named for General Hoyt
Vandenberg. In 1961, the Badger Clark Building, named for a SD poet Laureate,
was built to house primary levels. The next building was the round Carrousel
Building. Named for the late Senator, the Francis Case Building was built in
1964. The Douglas High School Building was ready for students for the 1963-64
school year. Since 1964, several annexes and an Administration Building have
been added. (from the
City of Box Elder
here to go to the DHS Facebook page!